COVID-19: Our surgery plans and how this will affect you
If you have had any contact with the surgery over the last week or two, you are likely to have noticed a marked difference in the way things are being done. We have done this to minimise face to face contact between patients and staff, limit the spread of the Covid-19 virus and keep our practice team and patients as well as possible. The information below shows you how we plan to operate over the coming weeks:
Making an appointment
- Our GP practice has now moved to a total triage system. This means that all requests for appointments must be made via the phone or online through eConsult on the front page
- You can also use the NHS App for requesting medications and submitting eConsults. Please click on Online Services above for details.
- Each request will be passed to a doctor for assessment. You may find that we treat you by phone, by video link, or we may ask you to come to the surgery;
- Access to the surgery premises will only be if you have been asked to do so and there will be clear arrangements discussed with you as to how we can safely do this. Please do not come to the surgery unless you have been specifically asked to do so.
Attending your appointment
- If you need to have a face to face appointment, you may be asked to attend one of the following surgeries: Solent GP Surgery: Nicholstown or Adelaide Health Centre (Tuesday and Wednesday only)
- Patients will be asked to stay in their car upon arrival and will be called to come into the surgery.
- Whilst you may have to go to a different surgery building to the one you are used to and you might see a doctor or nurse who you are not familiar with, your records will still be accessible securely to you and to them.
- If you are able to, please continue to use our website or the NHS App to order your repeat prescription. You do not need to come to the surgery to register to do this;
- If you cannot order your repeat prescription any other way, then we will accept requests over the phone during this time.
Mat1B forms (Maternity forms)
- Due to the fact that patients are not attending the surgery without having spoken to a member of the team, please speak to your midwife to obtain a Mat1B form at this time
Testing to see if you have Coronavirus (COVID-19) is done centrally. You can request a test from the NHS website, please click here. Requesting a test is not done through the surgery.
Exemptions from wearing a face covering
People are being asked to wear a face covering in several public locations such as on public transport, at hospitals and healthcare settings, in shops etc. People with certain conditions and young children are exempt. The practice is not issuing letters for exempting people from wearing a face covering. For guidance, please click here for the latest information.
How can you help?
- Please be patient – our phone lines are very busy;
- Do you have a condition that you can treat at home? If you do then please try to do this with advice from NHS online or your local pharmacist;
- Do you simply need general advice? If you do, can you call 111 for this or visit our website to access E-consult
- If you think you may have Covid-19 DO NOT go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Use the NHS111 Online service to find out what to do next: 111.nhs.uk/covid-19;
- If you feel you need to see a doctor for non-Covid-19 symptoms then please call the surgery on the usual number and we will discuss your needs;
- Please help the receptionist by giving them as much information as possible and answer any questions they may have. This will help us prioritise calls and have the right clinician call you back.
- Please remember that the surgery will NOT contact you with the result of a blood test if the result is within normal ranges. The surgery will only contact you if the test is abnormal or if the doctor wishes to discuss something with you.
- Have you nominated a pharmacy for the transmission of electronic prescriptions? This will prevent the need for either you or pharmacy staff from coming to the surgery. The nomination of a pharmacy can be done via your online app or speaking to your pharmacist or GP surgery directly.
- Please check our website for updates and twitter regularly at www.twitter.com/gpsolent
We do anticipate some staff shortages due to isolation and sickness and aim to continue to give you the best possible care at this difficult time. We appreciate your continued support.
Information in other languages - please click on the language below for information